If you find yourself house-sitting for a friend, I recommend following these handy tips:
1. Demand piles of money in return for your sitting services. (Piles of presents will also suffice.)
4. If the friend has pets, make sure they’re still alive at the end of your stay. Dead pets don’t bode well for good friendships.
5. Even though you do need to be nice to the friend’s pets, you don’t have to allow the dog to lick your armpits. That’s just a bit too intimate.
Unless you’re into that sort of thing.
6. Eat all of your friend’s delicious leftovers. Eat more than you can even fit in your body, just because you CAN.
7. Subtly suggest that your friend get a swimming pool installed before your next stay. I recommend complimenting them on their “large, pool-shaped backyard.”
8. If you don’t have pets of your own, understand that cats are creepy at night. Why all the mysterious noises and activities, cats? Why?
9. Do 1-2 nice things during your stay: fill an ice cube tray, wipe off the counter, etc. Doing ONE thing establishes you as helpful and ensures that you’ll be asked to sit again. BUT doing more than one thing might make your friend feel self-conscious about the cleanliness of her household. Better to play it safe.
Have you ever house-sat (house-sitted?) for anyone? What did you like or dislike about this experience? What handy tips can you provide?